Happy Hour

"IF A LIFETIME CAN BE LIKENED TO A DAY, THEN THIS IS HAPPY HOUR!"
BUCK PENNINGTON

Mother, Mother Ocean

Mother, Mother Ocean, I've heard you call
Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall
You've seen it all, you've seen it all
Watched the men who rode you, switch from sails to steam
In your belly you hold the treasures, few have ever seen
Most of 'em dream, most of 'em dream
Yes, I am a pirate, two hundred year's too late
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder
I'm an over-forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late

Yoda

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
―Yoda, to Luke Skywalker

Counted the Stars

Counted the stars on the 4th of July
Wishing we were rockets bursting in the sky
Talking about redemption and leaving things behind
I have these pictures and I keep these photographs
To remind me of a time
These pictures and these photographs
Let me know I'm doin' fine
We used to be so happy once upon a time
Once upon a time
But the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line
And the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line


""SOME SEE A GLASS AS HALF FULL, SOME SEE IT AS HALF EMPTY, I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHO’S DRINKING MY RUM."
Rumbear

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Saturday, What to do?

Here I am in the little town of Cal City on a Saturday before Thanksgiving. There is the occasional helicopter flying by this morning. I haven't looked, not a big helo guy. It is nice out, high thin clouds and the low to mid fifties at this point.
The Moving Wall is in Palmdale, maybe I will head on down. Today is the last day for it, there. It is at the Air Park next to the Airport/Secret Squirrel Plants of the AF/n-Grumman/Lockheed-Martin. It is a decent day for a short jaunt. There is a Harbor Freight Tools store at the fairgrounds exit in Lancaster. Hmmmm?
I do really need to find an In and Out Burger to satisfy the need for Cholesterol and it's associated things that are bad that I love. That is why I take Zocor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All we have in Cal City is a McDonald's, Subway, Quizno's and a Pizza Factory and the local Mom and Pop places. Chucks Pizza and More is pretty good. And I do miss the Wichita Metro local favourite, Spangles! Maybe Rene would think about opening one here or at least in Lancaster/Palmdale for the occasional Walmart run.
And there is always taking pictures of the desert.

4 comments:

Buck said...

You need a dirt bike... of the street-legal dual-purpose sort! I spent many wonderful hours out in the Mojave on mine in the way-back. Were I to return to your part of these United States I'd have another, too. You don't need to get wild and crazy on it... trail riding (and there are MANY trails!) is entertaining beyond belief. Just sayin', LOL!

Glenn Mark Cassel said...

Been thinking about it or even a dune buggy type vehicle to haul the Missus. With her past back injuries it would be a bit more comfortable. I was thinking about that side car rig from Russia, Ural. There are two models with the side car wheel able to engage for more traction. It is based on the pre-war BMW. The website is http://www.imz-ural.com/#

Buck said...

I've seen a few Urals, mostly while in the UK in the way-back. Sidecar rigs have always fascinated me, but not enough to actually spend money on one! (insert big-ass grin here)

Glenn Mark Cassel said...

When I was doing the ballast train thing with Herzog(www.herzogcompanies.com) I would load in St. Cloud, Minnesota. There was a guy I saw almost every morning, on a OD Green Ural with side car. Big-Ass Grin like you wouldn't believe! I think I want one, partly due to the historical part and the other is that I can put the Missus in the sidecar and just go. Not fast, just go.
On their website a couplel of years ago, there was a journal of a guy who rode one from Eastern Canada to Seattle via US 2 on one. Just sounds like a lot of fun!!!!!1

I will not go down and tell my children I didn't have the courage, the conviction, the commitment or the character to fight for this country...Don't go home and let your children down~~ LTC Allen West

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

‎"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.("Therefore, he who desires peace, let him prepare for war")" from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius (Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus)