Happy Hour

"IF A LIFETIME CAN BE LIKENED TO A DAY, THEN THIS IS HAPPY HOUR!"
BUCK PENNINGTON

Mother, Mother Ocean

Mother, Mother Ocean, I've heard you call
Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall
You've seen it all, you've seen it all
Watched the men who rode you, switch from sails to steam
In your belly you hold the treasures, few have ever seen
Most of 'em dream, most of 'em dream
Yes, I am a pirate, two hundred year's too late
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder
I'm an over-forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late

Yoda

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
―Yoda, to Luke Skywalker

Counted the Stars

Counted the stars on the 4th of July
Wishing we were rockets bursting in the sky
Talking about redemption and leaving things behind
I have these pictures and I keep these photographs
To remind me of a time
These pictures and these photographs
Let me know I'm doin' fine
We used to be so happy once upon a time
Once upon a time
But the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line
And the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line


""SOME SEE A GLASS AS HALF FULL, SOME SEE IT AS HALF EMPTY, I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHO’S DRINKING MY RUM."
Rumbear

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Anniversaries of note

Thirty years ago, Ronald Reagan was inaugurated.
I was in the Indian Ocean aboard USS Ranger. We were in theater due to the Jimmy the Dhimmi induced hostage crisis in Iran.
Fifty years ago, John Kennedy was inaugurated. I was in the first grade. A mere child of six.
I was brought up to be a good democrat. With a family full of schoolteachers, what else would happen? And I was. Then came the Naval Career and changes. Those changes started with Jimmy Carter.
I still remember the assassination of JFK. I was nine, in the fourth grade. To young to remember a lot. I do remember the teachers on my mom's side in abject grief. Then later on being indoctrinated as to Kennedy's impending Sainthood.
Then came the years with Jimmy. After the bad times of the Nixon resignation and Gerald Ford. At least Jerry Ford tried to do right. But Jimmy turned out to be such an incompetent individual that the forces suffered. After that I never voted for a Democrat for president, again. Couldn't do it. And understand Carter beat out senator Gary Hart of Colorado and...........drum roll...........Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown of California. All Brown had was Linda Ronstadt as his trophy  friend. Hart had extra marital affair issues also. At least Carter did't cheat on Roslyn. The only good quality the man had.
So having been reared in the Church of Kennedy Infallibility, I guess I became a heretic.
Ronnie Reagan loved us as I found out. It was there for all to see.
Most of my old shipmates and I are in agreement that we love him in return. He did things for us.
On the whole I have to go with Reagan as the Best President I ever served.

1 comment:

Buck said...

I was anxiously awaiting the outcome of my cross-training application in 1980. It all worked out and I found myself in London six months later in a new job, in a new place. BEST assignment, evah.

I was in high school for JFK's inauguration... the ceremony didn't mean a lot to me at the time, seein' as how I was tryin' to get laid... emphasis on the tryin' bits. Life was a lot harder before The Pill.

I remember JFK's assassination VIVIDLY. I was in basic electronics training at Keesler Airplane Patch and the entire freakin' WORLD stopped. We spent the rest of the day in front of a teevee and marched back to the barracks in complete silence. After our formation was dismissed we ALL went to the dayroom to continue the teevee vigil. That was a VERY bad day.

Finally: Reagan was the impetus for my conversion from moonbat to adult. I agree with you about the "best president I served under," and I served under a bunch.

I will not go down and tell my children I didn't have the courage, the conviction, the commitment or the character to fight for this country...Don't go home and let your children down~~ LTC Allen West

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

‎"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.("Therefore, he who desires peace, let him prepare for war")" from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius (Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus)