Happy Hour

"IF A LIFETIME CAN BE LIKENED TO A DAY, THEN THIS IS HAPPY HOUR!"
BUCK PENNINGTON

Mother, Mother Ocean

Mother, Mother Ocean, I've heard you call
Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall
You've seen it all, you've seen it all
Watched the men who rode you, switch from sails to steam
In your belly you hold the treasures, few have ever seen
Most of 'em dream, most of 'em dream
Yes, I am a pirate, two hundred year's too late
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder
I'm an over-forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late

Yoda

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
―Yoda, to Luke Skywalker

Counted the Stars

Counted the stars on the 4th of July
Wishing we were rockets bursting in the sky
Talking about redemption and leaving things behind
I have these pictures and I keep these photographs
To remind me of a time
These pictures and these photographs
Let me know I'm doin' fine
We used to be so happy once upon a time
Once upon a time
But the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line
And the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line


""SOME SEE A GLASS AS HALF FULL, SOME SEE IT AS HALF EMPTY, I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHO’S DRINKING MY RUM."
Rumbear

Sunday, November 09, 2014

Remember. A Poem From A Friend

My friend, Janet had this on her page on Facebook. It is simple and poignant.
That is all.

Do you like me?
Do you care?
Do you understand
What put me there?
I was happy
Free and wild
I was carefree
Like a wondering child.
But then one day
The wind rushed in
The mailman came
Delivered sin.
He brought a notice
Black and white
It told me where
I'd be that night.
I opened it and
Read it straight away
Report for Duty!
Do not delay!!
I loved my country
And served with pride
I must admit, never really
Thought I'd die.
But on the field
With crimson stain
I lost my life
A victory gained
My best friend cried
Sitting there alone
Only 18, these feelings
He had not known.
He dragged me off
The field that night.
Collected things
I said I'd write.
I made him promise
As he laughed
The month before
In case I passed.
I said please remind
The ones I love
I didn't ever
Want to leave.
When they ask why
Just tell them this:
A fellow cannot
Be remiss.
He must stand
For what is good.
Protect and serve
Sometimes with blood.
I wanted to be there
For graduation,
Weddings, births
And collaborations.
I gave it up
And so did they
But don't distress, see
I've paved the way.
For you to raise
Your family
In the soft waving breeze
Of liberty.
I loved my life;
My wife and son
I did not even
Have a gun.
I was just a guy
With a heart and soul.
Doing things that
I'd rather not do.
But sometimes there
Are certain things
That one must stand for
Not just cling
To all our fears
Or childish ways
Refusing to see
Beyond the haze
Peace sounds great
It's what I want
That is why
I fought the fight.
For you and yours
To have a bright
Future full of love
Grace and delight.
I did not falter
I did not run
I did not sell us out
I stood my ground
For you and for
Our children, then
For family, friends;
Our countrymen.
When you tell her
If you stand
Before her
She will understand.
He called on her
It crushed her world
He held her close
As she unfurled.
But I was right
She handled well
The news that my
Last note would tell.
I did not give
My life in vain
For you to spit
Upon my grave.
So when you pass
My way and glance
At my headstone
In happenstance
With bronze details
So stark and grey
Remember that
I died that day.
~J. Knight, c 2014 (all rights reserved.)

No comments:

I will not go down and tell my children I didn't have the courage, the conviction, the commitment or the character to fight for this country...Don't go home and let your children down~~ LTC Allen West

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

‎"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.("Therefore, he who desires peace, let him prepare for war")" from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius (Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus)