Happy Hour

"IF A LIFETIME CAN BE LIKENED TO A DAY, THEN THIS IS HAPPY HOUR!"
BUCK PENNINGTON

Mother, Mother Ocean

Mother, Mother Ocean, I've heard you call
Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall
You've seen it all, you've seen it all
Watched the men who rode you, switch from sails to steam
In your belly you hold the treasures, few have ever seen
Most of 'em dream, most of 'em dream
Yes, I am a pirate, two hundred year's too late
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder
I'm an over-forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late

Yoda

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
―Yoda, to Luke Skywalker

Counted the Stars

Counted the stars on the 4th of July
Wishing we were rockets bursting in the sky
Talking about redemption and leaving things behind
I have these pictures and I keep these photographs
To remind me of a time
These pictures and these photographs
Let me know I'm doin' fine
We used to be so happy once upon a time
Once upon a time
But the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line
And the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line


""SOME SEE A GLASS AS HALF FULL, SOME SEE IT AS HALF EMPTY, I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHO’S DRINKING MY RUM."
Rumbear

Friday, April 27, 2012

I went Home, in a manner of speaking

I went home today yesterday. In a manner of speaking that is. 
The Missus and I went to NAS Lemoore. She had not been there since we PCS'd back to NAS Whidbey Island 23 years ago. She was quite impressed with the Commissary and Exchange that are there now. The new Naval Hospital is amazing! The housing is far better than we lived in during our tour there. I put a Navy Region SW vehicle sticker on the truck.
We went out to the Ops Area(Reeves Field) and payed the Argonauts a visit. I got a T-shirt, ball cap and a few zappers!
It was strange having young Naval Aviators address me as Sir!
I also stopped by the FRC Airframes Division where I was in charge of the Hydraulic Shop and then the Night Shift Leading Petty Officer. I am impressed with the young men I met.
To Lex, up there, I do believe our Navy Air is in good hands.
And I would love to land a job there. At times, I really miss the place, ya know.

5 comments:

Buck said...

So... you CAN go home again? ;-)

It was strange having young Naval Aviators address me as Sir!

There's a Lt Col who runs the pharmacy at Cannon Airplane Patch who routinely addresses me as "sir" and I find it disquieting. So we have a Sir-fest between the two of us whenever he happens to be working the window when I go out there to get my monthly meds. It's amusing, if nothing else.

Glenn Mark Cassel said...

These were Lt.(jg) and LTs! The PO2 as well. All of them in the Ready Room could be my kids!!!!!!!!
Good folks, methinks.
We even got some new spiffy Mikasa dinnerware at the NEX and a few items at the Commissary. The Missus was amazed at the changes and the few things that had remained the same.
One of those Zappers is going on a nose gear door of a certain F-16 we all know and sort of love!!!!!
It is that inter service rivalry thing, ya know!

MCPO Airdale said...

Nice post. Think I could do one more squadron carrier deployment and be happy.

Sean Dustman said...

And I'll be transferring to Whidbey Island from VFA-122 to retire there. Funny how that is. I'm looking forward to Whidbey Island.

Glenn Mark Cassel said...

Master Chief, that would work for me as well.
Sean, be prepared for high prices on things. I did four tours at Whidbey and we still have friends there. But I could no longer live in the area due to is being a resort environment.
As for me, I would like a plane captain gig at 122 with URS. I applied about two weeks ago. Had enough of the 412 MXG here at Edwards. No structure and over thought, over managed, over done.

I will not go down and tell my children I didn't have the courage, the conviction, the commitment or the character to fight for this country...Don't go home and let your children down~~ LTC Allen West

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

‎"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.("Therefore, he who desires peace, let him prepare for war")" from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius (Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus)