Happy Hour

"IF A LIFETIME CAN BE LIKENED TO A DAY, THEN THIS IS HAPPY HOUR!"
BUCK PENNINGTON

Mother, Mother Ocean

Mother, Mother Ocean, I've heard you call
Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall
You've seen it all, you've seen it all
Watched the men who rode you, switch from sails to steam
In your belly you hold the treasures, few have ever seen
Most of 'em dream, most of 'em dream
Yes, I am a pirate, two hundred year's too late
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder
I'm an over-forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late

Yoda

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
―Yoda, to Luke Skywalker

Counted the Stars

Counted the stars on the 4th of July
Wishing we were rockets bursting in the sky
Talking about redemption and leaving things behind
I have these pictures and I keep these photographs
To remind me of a time
These pictures and these photographs
Let me know I'm doin' fine
We used to be so happy once upon a time
Once upon a time
But the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line
And the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line


""SOME SEE A GLASS AS HALF FULL, SOME SEE IT AS HALF EMPTY, I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHO’S DRINKING MY RUM."
Rumbear

Sunday, December 12, 2010

From xbradtc: Women in Combat | Bring the heat, Bring the Stupid

xbradtc has an excellent post on the subject.
I invite you to read it...............completely, then make up your mind.
As an old school sea dog, one should realize what my take is on the subject.
And having been retired for over seventeen years, the coed thing was brand spanking new then.
All I have to go on is my brother in law's experiences on Nimitz in 1994 during it's first coed deployment.
Then the Carl Vinson on a deployment around '01-'02 with pregnancy issues. And for those who want more on the subject follow this link to Commander Salamander.

This is the link for the post by xbradtc

3 comments:

MUD said...

When I entered the Military, I lived in an almost all male environment. It took a lot of change to get used to having women around in the field. I'm sure that it will all work out in the end. Men and women will have sex no matter where they are so as long as the pill is available, issue it and move on smartly.

Buck said...

I had SERIOUS reservations when we began to integrate women into my formerly all-male career field. But then I realized there were more "targets of opportunity" there than most guys could handle. I was an enthusiastic supporter after that. I was also single, too.

It goes without sayin', of course, that the AF wasn't NEARLY as anal about fraternization issues as the Navy. We didn't live in close quarters like all y'all did so we didn't have to be. Thank The Deity At Hand.

Anonymous said...

I'm all for women taking any job they are capable of handling, having done a couple "men's jobs" myself in the civilian world. However, don't dumb down the requirements so they can pass just to get women 'on the team' so to speak, and require the use of whatever temporary sterilization measures are available. Which means a pill or a condom don't cut it - I mean STERILIZATION.

I will not go down and tell my children I didn't have the courage, the conviction, the commitment or the character to fight for this country...Don't go home and let your children down~~ LTC Allen West

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

‎"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.("Therefore, he who desires peace, let him prepare for war")" from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius (Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus)