Happy Hour

"IF A LIFETIME CAN BE LIKENED TO A DAY, THEN THIS IS HAPPY HOUR!"
BUCK PENNINGTON

Mother, Mother Ocean

Mother, Mother Ocean, I've heard you call
Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall
You've seen it all, you've seen it all
Watched the men who rode you, switch from sails to steam
In your belly you hold the treasures, few have ever seen
Most of 'em dream, most of 'em dream
Yes, I am a pirate, two hundred year's too late
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder
I'm an over-forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late

Yoda

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
―Yoda, to Luke Skywalker

Counted the Stars

Counted the stars on the 4th of July
Wishing we were rockets bursting in the sky
Talking about redemption and leaving things behind
I have these pictures and I keep these photographs
To remind me of a time
These pictures and these photographs
Let me know I'm doin' fine
We used to be so happy once upon a time
Once upon a time
But the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line
And the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line


""SOME SEE A GLASS AS HALF FULL, SOME SEE IT AS HALF EMPTY, I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHO’S DRINKING MY RUM."
Rumbear

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Greg Gutfeld: Conservatives Must Fight the 'Tyranny of Cool'



Greg Gutfeld. Spot on.
I read this at work on my lunch break. The AF will not let me access my own blogs. Rat. Bastards.
I had to wait till I was at home.


"..............................The Joy of Hate focuses on the hypocrisy of modern tolerance — that it thinly disguises a growing, acceptable intolerance for the things that made America super-awesome. The origin of this phony intolerance springs from one source: the desire to be cool. Everything done in life these days springs from a fear of dorkiness. I called this "dorkophobia," and every time you use it, I get three dollars. Despite the fact that it’s the uncool who make the trains run on time, it's the cool to get the cred. The definition of cool: mass popularity without much achievement. It's how Obama got elected. Ask anyone who voted for him, "Why did you do it?" and the convoluted, wide-eyed answer will ultimately be translated into: "He's cool and that other guy wasn't." The media pushed this to the hilt; and much of the public bought it; giving stuff away is cool — especially when it's others people stuff — and perceived as philanthropic.
So what is perceived as cool, when it's really the opposite?
- Bureaucrats spawned in teacher's lounges chiseling at your income, to the cheers of a pliant media
- Creating dependency as a romantic lifestyle, independent of achievement
- Ridiculing women, minorities, and gays who reject the culture of dependency
- Fake work that doesn't require building, moving or doing things. In 2008, a community organizer beat a war hero who spent years in a prison camp. Apparently that's cool.
- Movements that reject American values in favor of American guilt (Occupy)
- Anti-Americanism as a needy appeasement to our international adversaries
- Hero worship of celebrities based on artificial edginess (Johnny Depp is not really a pirate)
- Destroying things. Did Pete Townsend ever think of the maid as he trashed his 25th hotel room?
- Victimhood. The elevation of the David and Goliath myth as a universal storyboard dictating that evil can be good, as long as it's smaller than the good. If America was a house, the left would root for the termites.
- Code words. Language that aptly describes things is uncool. However, euphemisms created to avoid hurting the feelings of our adversaries is not. Hence, Ft. Hood terror is workplace violence. Which, I guess that makes Hurricane Sandy a pool party.
- Talking about your identity. If you're gay, bisexual, transgendered, Raelian, or Eskimo, chances are I'll hear about it. If you are less proud of what you do than who you do then you're considered cool.
Where does the tyranny of the cool begin?....................................."
 The rest is at the link to the post at Breitbart.

Tyranny of Cool. That is some description. When reading the list in the piece, one does go hmmmmmm. OK, I did, anyway.
To me it comes down to dependency is now 'cool.' When I was a kid in North Central Montana, life on a good day was tough at times. My Dad hunted to keep the freezer full. Both of my folks worked. A movie on Saturday was two bits. A Coke was a nickel.
Cool? No concept. Now being a real burden on the rest of us is cool. Got to wonder about shit now days. I do know that my Lee Precision Press is going to get used finally. Take that as you may.
The Rant is now over.
God save us because the idjits inside the beltway sure as hell won't.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2012/11/13/Tyranny-of-Cool

2 comments:

Buck said...

Do you watch "Red Eye," Glenn? It's on at midnite, Left-Coast time, and is a veritable JOY. I tape it every day, just in case I crash before 0100 hrs, which isn't often.

Gutfeld is GREAT.

Glenn Mark Cassel said...

I get to see about half of it as I get off of work at midnight now. Got bumped a couple of weeks to go.
We gave up guys from the other F-16 AMU back to it. Two slots on nights. One guy volunteered and the lowest guy with the lowest SCUD date got to go. As a Retiree in Civil Service all I get is credit for two campaigns. Two Navy Expeditionary Medals totaling 1 year and 11 months. So my total is only 4 years 11 months with my time at Edwards. No more First 48 either!

I will not go down and tell my children I didn't have the courage, the conviction, the commitment or the character to fight for this country...Don't go home and let your children down~~ LTC Allen West

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

‎"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.("Therefore, he who desires peace, let him prepare for war")" from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius (Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus)