Happy Hour

"IF A LIFETIME CAN BE LIKENED TO A DAY, THEN THIS IS HAPPY HOUR!"
BUCK PENNINGTON

Mother, Mother Ocean

Mother, Mother Ocean, I've heard you call
Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall
You've seen it all, you've seen it all
Watched the men who rode you, switch from sails to steam
In your belly you hold the treasures, few have ever seen
Most of 'em dream, most of 'em dream
Yes, I am a pirate, two hundred year's too late
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder
I'm an over-forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late

Yoda

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
―Yoda, to Luke Skywalker

Counted the Stars

Counted the stars on the 4th of July
Wishing we were rockets bursting in the sky
Talking about redemption and leaving things behind
I have these pictures and I keep these photographs
To remind me of a time
These pictures and these photographs
Let me know I'm doin' fine
We used to be so happy once upon a time
Once upon a time
But the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line
And the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line


""SOME SEE A GLASS AS HALF FULL, SOME SEE IT AS HALF EMPTY, I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHO’S DRINKING MY RUM."
Rumbear

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Unity before Diversity Gerald Butts

Facebook friend. This is good. Copied in it's entirety.

The following is a copy of the letter I sent to another member of my local Tea Party group in response to the question, "Can Muslims Be Good Americans?"   My Friend,   The following credo applies not only to Muslims, but to all minorities in this country. I have been ridiculed and laughed at all of my life for my beliefs. The Tea Party is a Godsend for me at the age of 53. I will try to state my life long beliefs as clearly as possible.   This country was founded by WASP's. White Anglo-Saxon Protestants. They are NOT superior to anyone. They just happen to be the founders of our society. They gave us a common culture; language, rule of law, faith in God. English, the Constitution and the Bible. This is the cornerstone of our society.   No matter how you arrived in this country you MUST adhere to its culture if you wish to be part of it. You are free to leave. Slavery was wrong. It is over. Forget about it. If you are still upset. Just leave.   The founding fathers lived under the tyranny of the British Empire and I believe they TRULY comprehended the evils of slavery and genocide. I TRULY believe they wanted to build a new nation where "all men are created equal".   The final conclusion is that every individual citizen must swear sole allegiance to the United State of America. This excludes people who have loyalties to any other culture. America is its own culture. When you come here and swear allegiance to it you leave behind any ethnicity you had. You are no longer British. You are no longer African. You are American. FIRST and ONLY.   If muslims, blacks, hispanics or any other group refuses to give up their previous ethnicity, they cannot be Americans. If they continue to live in our society as separate cultures then they are traitors guilty of treason and subject to any punishment the rightful citizens of the United States impose upon them. The time has come for Americans to declare their distinct ethnicity on the pages of history. So help me God.   your friend, Gerri    

2 comments:

Buck said...

If muslims, blacks, hispanics or any other group refuses to give up their previous ethnicity, they cannot be Americans.

That's pretty danged harsh. You don't have to "give up" your ethnicity, you just have to have your priorities straight. I've raised many a margarita on Cinco de Mayo and participated in other culturally relevant celebrations. Remembering your heritage... and celebrating it... isn't de facto unAmerican, but asshats who wave a Mexican flag at rallies and talk about the "Reconquista" are. It ain't just Hispanics, either... that goes for folks who live in Little Italy, all the Irish and faux Irish on St. Paddy's day, yadda, yadda.

There is a difference... a big difference. I think your friend needs to get out more. Just sayin'.

Glenn Mark Cassel said...

Point taken.

I will not go down and tell my children I didn't have the courage, the conviction, the commitment or the character to fight for this country...Don't go home and let your children down~~ LTC Allen West

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

‎"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.("Therefore, he who desires peace, let him prepare for war")" from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius (Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus)