Happy Hour

"IF A LIFETIME CAN BE LIKENED TO A DAY, THEN THIS IS HAPPY HOUR!"
BUCK PENNINGTON

Mother, Mother Ocean

Mother, Mother Ocean, I've heard you call
Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall
You've seen it all, you've seen it all
Watched the men who rode you, switch from sails to steam
In your belly you hold the treasures, few have ever seen
Most of 'em dream, most of 'em dream
Yes, I am a pirate, two hundred year's too late
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder
I'm an over-forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late

Yoda

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
―Yoda, to Luke Skywalker

Counted the Stars

Counted the stars on the 4th of July
Wishing we were rockets bursting in the sky
Talking about redemption and leaving things behind
I have these pictures and I keep these photographs
To remind me of a time
These pictures and these photographs
Let me know I'm doin' fine
We used to be so happy once upon a time
Once upon a time
But the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line
And the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line


""SOME SEE A GLASS AS HALF FULL, SOME SEE IT AS HALF EMPTY, I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHO’S DRINKING MY RUM."
Rumbear

Saturday, August 14, 2010

I Don't owe You

Borrowed from the Violence Worker.
Excellent read and does it ever make sense.

I don't want to sound like a scrooge, because I'm not, but I don't owe you healthcare.  I don't owe you food stamps.  I don't owe you a home and I don't owe you a free ride.
By the same token, you owe me none of those things either.
If you choose to sit on your ass, do not think that you have a right to a free doctor's visit on my dime.  If you are here illegally, the only thing I owe you is a boot, squarely applied to your butt, as I kick you out of MY country.
If you are incapable of helping yourself, compassion demands that I should help you and I will and I do.
If you truly want a hand up and not a handout, I want to help.  We've all needed a little help now and then.  Most of us don't expect to make dependency a lifestyle.
I cringe when I read some liberal telling me the opposite is true patriotism.  Bull Twinkies!  We are a compassionate people and we should seek to help those who cannot help themselves, but if you are young, able to work and are willing to do so, then do so and shut up.
No one expects you to make a career on minimum wage.  If you do, then you are either incapable of doing much else, or you are lazy.  Most people, who are willing to work, do not stay on the bottom rung.
You do not need an ipod.  You do not need a blackberry or an i-phone and you don't need a wide screen TV.  You don't need a brand new Lexus.  You don't need the latest fashions.  If you can afford those things, then you can afford healthcare.  You can afford a place to live and you can afford to buy your own food.
I've been poor.  I had a Tandy 1000A I bought for 25 bucks from a friend when all my friend had 486 based machines.  I didn't have a cell phone until about 6 years ago.  I don't buy new cars very often.  I've wondered where my next meal was coming from, but I never thought to ask for your tax dollars so I could buy it.
I'm not better than you and uncountable numbers before me and after me have bettered themselves while suffering much worse than I ever have.
I don't owe you.  Stop begging.  When you demand free this or that, you may as well be begging.  Tell me what's the difference.  Being an American used to mean that you understood that the American Dream was not a dream, it was a goal.  Now they try and tell me that it means that I must finance your dream for you.
Understand that the middle class is getting tired of funding your dream.  Understand that we have been pushed a bit too far.  Understand that we aren't buying that "tax the rich" crap.  That is nothing more than a code for taxing the producers.
To the politicians:  We are tired of seeing untold billions go to bailout your political friends.  Some of the biggest names in bailout are some of the biggest donors to the Party of Handouts.
I don't owe you re-election either.

No comments:

I will not go down and tell my children I didn't have the courage, the conviction, the commitment or the character to fight for this country...Don't go home and let your children down~~ LTC Allen West

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

‎"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.("Therefore, he who desires peace, let him prepare for war")" from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius (Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus)