Happy Hour

"IF A LIFETIME CAN BE LIKENED TO A DAY, THEN THIS IS HAPPY HOUR!"
BUCK PENNINGTON

Mother, Mother Ocean

Mother, Mother Ocean, I've heard you call
Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall
You've seen it all, you've seen it all
Watched the men who rode you, switch from sails to steam
In your belly you hold the treasures, few have ever seen
Most of 'em dream, most of 'em dream
Yes, I am a pirate, two hundred year's too late
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder
I'm an over-forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late

Yoda

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
―Yoda, to Luke Skywalker

Counted the Stars

Counted the stars on the 4th of July
Wishing we were rockets bursting in the sky
Talking about redemption and leaving things behind
I have these pictures and I keep these photographs
To remind me of a time
These pictures and these photographs
Let me know I'm doin' fine
We used to be so happy once upon a time
Once upon a time
But the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line
And the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line


""SOME SEE A GLASS AS HALF FULL, SOME SEE IT AS HALF EMPTY, I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHO’S DRINKING MY RUM."
Rumbear

Friday, January 29, 2010

Roeder Guilty in 37 minutes

The jury came back at the Sedgwick County Courthouse in Wichita.
Dennis Roeder is guilty in the murder of Dr. George Tiller, the noted late term abortion provider. The minimum sentence life, with parole possible after 25 years. The County Attorney, Nola Foulston is asking for a hard 50. That means no possibility of parole until after 50 years. It woulde ensure that Roeder never has a day as a free man again.
Had Foulston pursued the death penalty it would have possibly turned Roeder into a martyr. She called it smart in that respect.
I am against abortion in it's use as a means of birth control. Always have been. As for medical reasons, I am not qualified in that respect, I am not a doctor but an ordinary guy.
But regardless of beliefs on the issue of abortion, the murder of Dr. Tiller was a premeditated assassination. And to do it in a house of worship is abominable in and of itself.
I myself would have preferred that Roeder receive the death penalty. But in the current atmosphere, the process could have taken a generation to carry out with the endless appeals involved. And that process could have become a media and cause celebre' feeding frenzy all it's own.
And it only took the jury those 37 minutes to decide. But with the witnesses that were available from that Sunday morning, I don't think the outcome was that much in doubt.

4 comments:

MUD said...

You took the words right out of my mouth. The 37 minutes were probably spent by going to the bathroom first and finding the bastard guilty. To shoot a man in a church is a statement in itsself. Hard 50 or death is my vote. MUD

Glenn Mark Cassel said...

Nola is going for the hard 50. The death penalty would have turned into a circus with the media and anti-capital punishment crowd.

Buck said...

Hard 50 is worse than death, IMHO. Which serves the bastard right. Unless we could kill him two or three times... that would be appropriate, too.

Fredd said...

Murderers are murderers the world around. Trying to make this murderer the poster child for the pro life movement is typical of the pro death movement.

I will not go down and tell my children I didn't have the courage, the conviction, the commitment or the character to fight for this country...Don't go home and let your children down~~ LTC Allen West

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

‎"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.("Therefore, he who desires peace, let him prepare for war")" from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius (Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus)