Happy Hour

"IF A LIFETIME CAN BE LIKENED TO A DAY, THEN THIS IS HAPPY HOUR!"
BUCK PENNINGTON

Mother, Mother Ocean

Mother, Mother Ocean, I've heard you call
Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall
You've seen it all, you've seen it all
Watched the men who rode you, switch from sails to steam
In your belly you hold the treasures, few have ever seen
Most of 'em dream, most of 'em dream
Yes, I am a pirate, two hundred year's too late
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder
I'm an over-forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late

Yoda

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
―Yoda, to Luke Skywalker

Counted the Stars

Counted the stars on the 4th of July
Wishing we were rockets bursting in the sky
Talking about redemption and leaving things behind
I have these pictures and I keep these photographs
To remind me of a time
These pictures and these photographs
Let me know I'm doin' fine
We used to be so happy once upon a time
Once upon a time
But the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line
And the sun sank west of the Mendocino County Line


""SOME SEE A GLASS AS HALF FULL, SOME SEE IT AS HALF EMPTY, I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHO’S DRINKING MY RUM."
Rumbear

Friday, October 23, 2009

Red White and Blue!

I think I found the colour palette for this adventure.
For some reason the incision does hurt around the edges. Could be the coughing from the cold/fu that hit me a couple of days ago. I did quit smoking due to the hospitalization but that will be five weeks on this coming Sunday. It could be that I am cleaning out? Possible, ya think?
Anyway on the day of the surgery, it was one of those early mornings. Like the ducks don't even get up this early!(I was a passionate waterfowler) Figure it out, OK?! I hit the check-in desk at 0530 on the morning of September 21. Having been on a clear liquid diet and downing a ten ounce bottle of magnesium citrate the day before, I was in a stirling mood. Hackles up and teeth bared! It went rather assembly line like from that point. Upstairs, shave the belly. Into the nightie and on to preop for all the IV's and then the lights went out! I was in recovery longer than surgery. The surgery started at exactly 0800 and was done at 0945. I didn't get out of recovery until about 1200-1230. I sleep long after general anasthesia.
In the room and hooked up to all kinds of stuff. The Missus was there for the entire show. The nurses were pushing me to take a walk as soon as possible. I had two IVs and a catheter in, for crying out loud! And they wanted me to walk. When I did, it took one RN and two RN students to handle all the tubes! At least when in bed I had a little button to push for pain. Morphine Sulfate, Rah Rah! Push button and feel better! I had visits from two of the kids later that evening. The oldest son and his bride were still in town after the younger son's wedding so they paid me visit before heading home to upstate NY. And the youngest daughter, with granddaughter Piper and the kids' real Dad also stopped by. I can't say I was real good company, if you get my drift. And then there were vitals to be taken. Plus the nexium and zocor that I take regular. The staff had me taking my regular scrips during the wee hours. I finally told them that when they just wanted BP and such to get it and let me sleep. That went over like a lead balloon.
Well that's enough fun for tonight dear readers!

4 comments:

Liz said...

Blog looks good Glenn - And you tell the story well. And I came over from your comment link so think all is well there.

Glenn Mark Cassel said...

Glad you like it. The template choices are good and the colour choices are very plentiful.
And having to dig into the grammar and language from years ago has been fun also. Remembering sentence structure and such LOL!

kc said...

The coughing when we quit smoking CAN go on as long as 6-9 months. Didn't last that long for me, but a Friend of mine went back to his doc about every 3 weeks for nearly a year after he quit, just to be told "It's healing, it takes time, and the crud has to go somewhere." What spooks most people is we don't start coughing RIGHT AWAY, it usually takes a couple weeks. I quit Tax Day '98 when I decided to stage my own private Boston Tea Party. That's ONE tax I refuse to pay...children's health care my ass...

The tough part is over, Glenn - just stick with it, you will not regret it. And yes, I still LIKED smoking when I quit.

Buck said...

Ah... I gotta agree with kc. I quit three years ago this coming January for health reasons (emphysema). If it weren't for that I'd still be lighting up... I liked it TOO much. Hang in there, it gets better!

I will not go down and tell my children I didn't have the courage, the conviction, the commitment or the character to fight for this country...Don't go home and let your children down~~ LTC Allen West

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

‎"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.("Therefore, he who desires peace, let him prepare for war")" from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius (Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus)